Here’s What We’ve Been Up To!
We are so grateful for the outpouring of support during the last few days in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian. Those of you who have given monetarily or donated goods and supplies for the relief efforts have answered the call and for that I thank you.
To date, we have raised a total of $23,326 through your donations. We are asking for your continued support in the efforts to assist the many individuals and families that have been negatively impacted by Hurricane Dorian.
The Myles & Ruth Munroe Foundation is an organization committed to giving. Our goal is to raise $100,000 for the Hurricane Dorian Relief efforts to ensure that we are a great help to our fellow brothers and sisters.
With the monetary donations raised and the goods and supplies donated, we are resolute in our commitment to do our part in the recovery efforts. We will also do so through key partnerships and actions which we have established and listed below:
- Fernando Gonzalez, a member of The United States Global Leadership Council, has organized flights and sea shipment of goods and supplies from South Florida to the Bahamian islands of Nassau and Grand Bahama. We have teams ready to warehouse, receive and distribute goods and supplies being shipped.
- Courtney Munford, CEO, and Founder of Black Chef’s Network, and their #BCNCares campaign have volunteered to devote their time and talents to provide displaced communities with warm and comforting meals. The chefs will prepare and deliver meals directly to the communities and families in need. The MRM Foundation will arrange accommodations and a working space for these chefs to prepare the food and distribute it.
- Melissa Ellis, Founder, and Director of Life Beyond Water will provide portable drinking filters which can clean up to 250 gallons of water per day, per filter. Life Beyond Water’s mission is to provide relief, education, and support to areas that are plagued by the lack of clean water.
- The aftermath of Hurricane Dorian has also resulted in many children from the islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama being left without a place to stay. Most of these kids have been or will be sent to Nassau and placed in a number of our homes for children around the island. The MRM Foundation has partnered with The Bahamas Children’s Emergency Hostel for the past four years and has identified two additional children’s homes in need of assistance. We are committed to providing goods and supplies necessary for the children to be fed and taken care of as best as possible. We intend to provide various school supplies (books and other school utensils, backpacks, uniforms, etc.), various grocery items, cleaning supplies, various personal items and toiletries, and a few needed small appliances. We intend to continue this support over the next twelve to eighteen months.
- Additionally, we seek to identify families that have lost their homes due to Hurricane Dorian and will be securing short term living accommodations for them wherever possible over the next few months. We have partnered with several real estate agents and companies who we will work closely with to achieve this feat.
The Myles & Ruth Munroe Foundation is fully committed to the long road ahead of us. We seek to focus on the medium to long term needs when assisting with recovery efforts. We know that the road to rebuilding will take years and we will do our best in ensuring that our brothers and sisters can get back to some sort of normalcy as quickly as possible.
So please continue to help us help others. Please donate and do so with the assurance that we are grateful for your help and your generosity and 100% of your donations for this cause will go to the individuals and families that need them the most.